Countdown to the end of this year. 26 days left. This month I am writing posts reflecting on what has transpired and where I think I am headed and any advice or offers I can make for 2017. So today’s installment … Today’s thought– Preparation is everything.
In cooking we use the french term Mise en place (MEEZ ahn plahs) which means to Put in Place. Basically, chefs prepare all their ingredients, chopping, measuring, premixing before they put pan to flame. Saves on costly mistakes and reduces panic. Though this kind of preparation is not always possible it always makes things better. So If you have the time or can make the time, set aside preparation
Though this kind of preparation is not always possible in our crazy lives, it always makes things better. So If you have the time or can make the time, set aside preparation thinking in your schedule.
Some preparation habits I tried and continue to try to put in practice over the last months of 2016.
- Sunday evening take some time to think about the week ahead and anything you can do to make that week run more smoothly. Check your calendar. Think on the things that you really want to accomplish. The week will fly by so decide in advance what are the 2-3 things you absolutely want to do this week.
- Do the same thing at night before you go to bed- think about the next day. Look at your schedule, and set your goals of the 1 thing that you really want to have happen in the next 24 hours.
- Organizing money stuff before the end of the month– don’t wait until everything is due or overdue and then run around and try to get it all done. This is especially important if you are in a lean period and money is scarce. If you think about what you need to pay throughout the month ahead of time you will be more cautious and make better choices.
I have not mastered these 3 steps by any means, but I keep working on making them habits and I have a lot of determination to use these 3 preparation goals to make 2017 a year of success and renewal.
Other little quick preparation tips I have adopted
- One place for keys and bills.
- Laundry for the week handled on the weekend.
- Don’t wait until you are too hungry to think about what you will eat. Leads to junk food meals.
- Try using a forward planning calendar system- I am working with The Passion Planner and really loving it though I need to learn more about using it and how to manage the planning steps.
- Charge up your devices overnight- always. So you don’t have to worry about them the next day.
What are your preparation tips? What do you do to make things go more smoothly in your life?